The bridge was named after Captain Reuben Hill one of the mill owners on the river. His still extant house is the second house on the left after the bridge traveling east. On or about 1750 Reuben Hill and his wife Abigail owned farmland and mills along the Lamprey River. He built his house around 1760 and also built a stone toll bridge across the Lamprey which sadly no longer exists. He later fought in the Revolutionary War. The modern bridge is still surrounded by farmland and pasture.
There is a path on the northwest side of the bridge that allows access to the water’s edge and a short trail along the west side of the river. There are some class II rapids navigable in the spring down to the Wiswall Dam which must be portaged. All in all a good put in or take out point for springtime canoeing and kayaking.