The Wadleigh Falls area in Lee, New Hampshire is one of the oldest inhabited regions in all of New Hampshire. Native Americans began using this site for hunting and fishing 8000 years ago.
During the colonial era English settlers began using the site in 1657 and constructed the first mill on the Lamprey River in 1665.
The remains of the original dam had been breached many years ago but the natural rapids can be seen from the NH Route 152 bridge.
There is a canoe and kayak access point a short distance from the bridge.