The Cathedral of St. John, located in Providence, Rhode Island, was formerly the seat of the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island of The Episcopal Church. The church closed in 2012 due to declining membership and the need for extensive renovations. Currently, the church is being repaired and renovated to become a “exhibition and reconciliation center” focusing on the trans-Atlantic slave trade. The parish was originally organized in 1722 as King’s Church, a wooden structure that was renamed St John’s Church in 1794. That building served Providence until 1810 when work began on what would become the Cathedral of St. John. The Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island was formed in 1790, but it was not until 1929 that St John’s Church was designated the Episcopal seat and was renamed the Cathedral of St. John.
The church is located nearby Roger Williams National Memorial.