Iron ore was discovered in this area in 1805, the Stone Iron Furnace seen here was one of two iron smelters and the only one still standing. It was known as the “lower works.” The smelter was in operation from 1807 to the 1880s. This smelter in Franconia was built here because of the availability of water power and the proximity to the mines in nearby Sugar Hill. The smelter made pig iron (used by blacksmiths) and also the famed Franconia Stove. The furnace itself is on private property and must be viewed from the opposite side of the river.
Also on site is the Delage Bridge built in 1889. The Lenticular-Truss Bridge was the transitional type between wooden and iron bridges.