Prescott Park is a ten-plus acre waterfront park in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The land was donated to the city of Portsmouth by two sisters, Josie and Sarah Prescott in 1940. The sisters, public school teachers, had used an inheritance to systematically purchase and clear properties along the Piscataqua River. The sisters’ goal was to create a public waterfront park, free and accessible to all, replacing what had become a run-down and seedy industrial area.
There are formal gardens interspersed with quiet pathways
Historical buildings and interpretive signs
Sailing, whale watching and other nautical pursuits are nearby
The Strawbery Banke Museum collection of historic buildings is directly adjacent to the park
The Portsmouth Love Lock Wall is in the parking lot for the park