On the site of the Fremont, New Hampshire Town Office are two markers by the town of Fremont explaining the early history of the town. These are an interesting addition to the New Hampshire historical marker system and well worth a stop.
Fremont was originally incorporated as Poplin on June 22, 1864. It was renamed Fremont in 1854 after the famous frontiersman and politician John C. Fremont. 552 residents and 2 slaves fought during the revolutionary war and 99 citizens served during the civil war.
Settled in the 1720s the Black Rock Village section of Poplin saw the growth of sawmills, gristmills the 1800 meeting house and was a center of business for the old town. The first Civil War Riot in New England took place in Liberty Square here. The first Poplin town meeting took place in the John Prescott Lovering Inn.