Fort Frederica National Monument is on St. Simons Island in the state of Georgia. It preserves the archaeological remnants of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748 to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids. A series of archaeological investigations at the Frederica site have been undertaken by the park service and the remains of the barracks is still extant.
James Oglethorpe and others created a charter for the new colony named Georgia (in honor of King George II). The grant included all land between the Altamaha and Savannah Rivers and from the headwaters of these rivers to the “south seas.”