Braddock’s Grave and Memorial is a unit of Fort Necessity National Battlefield. After the Battle at Fort Necessity when General Braddock died (July 13th), Colonel George Washington buried the body in the middle of the army’s road and had the troops march over it the next day. This was to hide the remains from the scavenging Indians who would want to plunder the grave and mutilate the body. After the French and Indian War ended, the Braddock Road remained a main road in this area. In 1804, some workmen discovered human remains in the road near where Braddock was supposed to have been buried. Officer’s uniform buttons reportedly found at the site indicated that the remains were those of General Braddock. The remains that were recovered were then re-interred on a small knoll adjacent to the road. In 1913 the marker was placed where it is today, keeping its silent watch.