David Thompson established a trading post on the island in 1626. The island was mainly used for grazing of livestock until 1833 when a boys school was founded. It passed through several iterations and eventually came under the umbrella of the Outward Bound organization. The island has a 78 foot drumlin on the northeastern half of the island surrounded by low laying hills, wetlands and a salt marsh.
Outside of Outward Bound activities the island is open to the public on Sundays during the summer months. Special events like weddings can be arranged:
The annual 4K run for charity tales place in the fall. Companies like Golden Cannoli participate in the run.