In the time of sailing ships tall straight tree trunks called “mast trees” were highly prized by those in power. The area around Fremont (formerly Poplin) had an abundance of tall white pines perfect for this purpose. In the colonial era these stands were set aside for this purpose for the crown.
In 1705 a law was passed stating that any tree larger than 24″ at the base were reserved for the use of the crown for mast trees. In 1734 the lieutenant governor David Dunbar thought that the town of Exeter was cheating on the 24″ rule and set off to the saw mill in Brentwood to investigate. Local lumbermen heard about the expedition and met Dunbar and his men and drove them off. Dunbar returned with ten men but were again driven off by townsfolk this time dresses as Indians.
The marker is just across the Fremont town border going north on NH Route 107. Adjacent to the marker is the Town of Fremont sign.